Friday, December 7, 2007

Saxum, Heart Stone Vyd, Paso Robles 2005

Purple/red.

Suave mixture of oak and raspberry fruit sweetness on the nose.

Very sweet/creamy entry, by now a calling card for Saxum and many producers in the area. Structure is almost entirely driven by acidity, which boosts the mild tannin. This is very tasty, but, still, I see little aromatic or flavor delination/complexity here.

Will this come with cellar time? I'm not betting on it.

Day 2 - Completely confectionary now, with nice acid (some would say mineral) thrust. A thick coating of one thing, nothing else. I still don't get most of these wines (Rocket Block is an exception). But I must be missing something, as both Tanzer and Parker think highly of them.

Day 5 - I've been too tough on this one, which should definitely get extra points for concentration, suave texture and flavor thrust. I'm still skeptical about any real future aromatic or flavor complexity, but I'll probably be proven wrong.

44% Syrah, 33% Grenache, 23% Mourvedre


$40