Wednesday, January 24, 2007

1/24/07 Pegau 2001 & Clos des Papes 2004 (last drops)

Appropriate that this blog should start with Chateauneuf. I have a decent stash of both wines back to '98 and am reasonably knowledgeable about their different styles, although I think these are evolving, much as most other producers are these days.

The Pegau '01 was marked by a dry herb/garrigue character that was a bit too aggressive for me initially (day 1, not decanted). Days 2 and 3 brought more integrated garrigue and sumptuous/confectionary kirsch/framboise notes. Obviously concentrated/packed wine that is finished in a style I now consider rustic, particularly compared with Clos des Papes.

$55 approx.

Clos des Papes '04 is right off the bottling line, no doubt. Showing very well from day 1 - pure, Burgundian-like fruit and fat. Not as complex, yet, as the Pegau, but many years younger. Garrigue shows as a nuance amid waves of pure, measured fruit. The more I drink Clos d P the more I want to buy and drink more. But this sentiment really true only from 2000 on.


$55 approx.