Thursday, November 15, 2007

Aphillanthes, Mourvedre, Cotes-du Rhone 2003

Deep red.

Spicy red cherry, savory meat and sexy (oak?) spice nose. There's something Pinot-like here.

Round and mouthfilling, again, very Pinot-like, with fresh red cherry/strawberry fruit flavor. This is really interesting. Grainy, mild tannin keeps everything in check. Quite suave actually, not a characteristic normally associated with Old World Mourvedre. The savory meat nuance pops up in the mouth too.

I know nothing about this bottling, but this producer has made several Cotes-du-Rhones that I loved (1999, 2000 Galets & Trois Cepages).

I remember one of the Perrin brothers (Beaucastel/Tablas Creek) saying years ago that Mourvedre was the Pinot Noir of the south. I assumed he was a lunatic at the time, but I have learned that the variety is capable of great aromatic complexity.


$45