Sunday, March 23, 2008

Cellers Can Blau "Mas de Can Blau" Montsant (Spain) 2005

Red/purple.

Strikingly pure, "international" nose of toasty oak/popcorn/grain (CA Burgundian Chard?), medicinal/iodine and very bound up/chewy. If I had this in a black glass, I'd guess Sonoma Coast Chardonnay.

Nice sweetness in the mouth, immediately matched by minerally/phenolic structure coating the front teeth. Again, literally blind, I'd guess this to be a top-notch Chardonnay.

? In a completely different sense - WTF?

I smell an Aussie influence here. We'll see what air time brings...

Day 6 - Oak tar on the nose, more spice notes now, and subtle citrus/ketchup. Refined. Quite linear in the mouth, which shouldn't be all that surprising, as Montsant apparently borders Priorat. This is very well-made/pure. Structure still hits the front teeth. I'd like to see this in 5-6 years.

35% Mazuelo (Carignan), 35% Syrah, 30% Garnacha.

$40